If you’re considering establishing a charitable fund with us or if you already have, you will be pleased to know about the benefits to you and to our communities.
As a tax-exempt public charity, most donations to the Foundation are tax-exempt, thereby allowing maximum tax advantages to donors. Donors can limit paying capital-gains tax and reduce you estate-tax liability while supporting local or national nonprofits – the charitable gift grows tax-free while in the fund established.
To determine the tax benefits for your particular gift, consult the Foundation and your personal tax advisor.
Other Benefits to the Donor
In addition to tax-benefits, donors can:
- Give to causes and programs they care about while supporting and bettering our own community.
- Involve their family and begin planning to leave a charitable legacy.
- Choose their level of involvement — from visits to prospective grant recipients to consultations with Foundation staff andBoard members, who can help with philanthropic planning and strategy aimed at maximizing the results and impact of a gift.
- Make anonymous contributions in almost any forms as he Foundation can accept a wide variety of assets.
Donors do not have to worry about distributing grants – the Foundation will make the distributions on donor recommendations, while the donor’s fund earns interest. The Foundation handles all paper work and IRS reporting.
The Foundation provides perpetual fund maintenance and oversight, ensuring that fund income will be managed and distributed in accordance with the intentions of the donors.
By giving through the Kenosha Community Foundation, you improve the communities where you live and work.
By partnering with our staff, you can fund the best, most impactful organizations, programs, and initiatives generating positive impacts in Kenosha.
Operating as a collection of endowed and donor-advised philanthropic funds established by individuals, families, organizations, and companies, the Foundation can pool assets into investment portfolios to maximize fund growth. By co-investing with the Foundation and other donors, your grantmaking is leveraged, thus maximizing your impacts in filling important needs.
The Foundation ensurews local accountability is provided by volunteer community leaders who serve as the Board of Directors as well as volunteer leaders on the Foundation’s committees (e.g. Grants, Arts Fund, Women’s Fund) and their subcommittees.
The Foundation Promises to…
1. Benefit donors by creating and investing endowment funds in a way that both maximizes income and fund growth and at the same time use earnings to benefit our community forever.
2. Provide responsible stewardship of assets entrusted to its care.
3. Offer great flexibility to meet donors’ interests and needs.
4. Operate efficiently, with a reasonable and cost-effective fee structure.
5. Allow donors to maintain direct involvement in charitable giving.
6. Provide local knowledge of changing community needs in the social services, education, community development, the arts and culture.
7. Operate a thoughtful and responsive grant-making program that makes annual grants to local nonprofits from unrestricted endowment, donor advised and field of interest funds.
8. Manage a set of endowment funds that provide scholarships to qualified students.