Grants from the Foundation’s Women’s Fund support programs and organizations that create opportunities for women and children in Kenosha County.
2017 Grants Awarded from the Women’s Fund
In January 2017, the Foundation made the following grants from the Women’s Fund:
• Kenosha Achievement Center to support the Sprouts playgroup and depression discussion group programs.
• Kenosha Common Markets, Inc. for its Market-Moola program that incents FoodShares families to shop at HarborMarket and make healthy food purchase choices.
• Kenosha County Association for Home and Community Education (KCAHCE) for its participation in the Wisconsin BookwormsTM reading program.
• Kenosha Literacy Council for their Women in Focus workshops.
• Lemon Street Gallery and ArtSpace for an after-school ceramics program for Washington Middle School and Harborside Academy students.
• Shalom Center its Kids Succeed program.
• Women and Children’s Horizon to support activities for children and families its emergency shelter.
About the Fund
Established by the Foundation as a component fund in 1997, the Women’s Fund was the idea of a group of visionary Kenosha women, including Connie Ferwerda and Mary Frost Ashley, who were dedicated to improving the well-being and quality of life of women and children in Kenosha County.
The endowment fund was designed so that it would grow through tax-deductable donations from the public and a portion of the income earned by the endowment to be used as grants to local non-profit organizations. Since 1998, the Women’s Fund has distributed over $60,000 in grants to the community.