Focus of Grants from the Women’s Fund
Grants from the Foundation’s Women’s Fund support programs and organizations that create opportunities for women and children in Kenosha County.
2019 Grants Awarded from the Women’s Fund
In January 2019, the Foundation made the following grants from the Women’s Fund:
• Boys and Girls Club of Kenosha for their Teen Vision and Learning program.
• Girl Scouts of Southeastern Wisconsin for its Trail to Confidence program for under-served urban and latina girls living in economically challenged neighborhoods.
• Faith, Hope and Love for their Duffels for Kids program.
• Kenosha Literacy Council for their Women in Focus interactive workshops on women’s issues.
• Sharing Center to help provide free transportation for disadvantaged clients in Western Kenosha County.
• Women and Children’s Horizon to help with the emergency needs of women and children at their emergency shelter.
In addition, the Women’s Fund is a co-sponsor the Kenosha Women’s Network’s 2019 Susan B. Anthony – Women of Influence Awards.
About the Fund
Established by the Foundation as a component fund (also known as a quasi-endowment) in 1997, the Women’s Fund was the idea of a group of visionary Kenosha women, including Connie Ferwerda and Mary Frost Ashley, who were dedicated to improving the well-being and quality of life of women and children in Kenosha County.
The endowment fund was designed so that it would grow through tax-deductable donations from the public and a portion of the income earned by the endowment to be used as grants to local non-profit organizations. Since 1998, the Women’s Fund has distributed over $60,000 in grants to the community.