NOW ACCEPTING – Applications for 2020 Howard J. Brown Scholarships
Applications are due March 5, 2020.
The Howard J. Brown Scholarship is for high school seniors graduating who:
• Will graduate from a public high school in Kenosha County.
• Plan to attend a college or university in Wisconsin.
• Have a GPA of 3.5 (out of 4.0) or better.
• Plan to major in a communications-related subject – these include:
o Communications – includes Business Communications and Strategic Communications
o History / Social Science
o Languages / Linguistics
o Cinema, Film, Television and/or Cultural studies
o Creative Writing
o Professional Writing
Consideration shall be given for evidence of financial need as well as participation in school and community volunteer activities and work experience.
The Foundation plans to award one or two Howard J. Brown Scholarships in spring 2020. Up to $2,500 may be awarded per scholarship.
The qualification for “need” are as follows:
1. the applicant must describe – how they are planning to pay for their education.
2. the applicant’s college must verify the student is in “in financial need” as indicated by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Scholastic or Professional promise
1. the applicant must have a GPA of 3.5 or above (out of a 4.0 scale).
2. the applicant will need detail – how receiving the scholarship will help them achieve their future goals.
3. the applicant may have an academic or professional contact submit a letter of recommendation on behalf of the student.
About the Scholarship
The Howard J. Brown Scholarship fund was established by the Foundation in 2019 to honor the late Howard J. Brown, former publisher of the Kenosha News and long-time member of the Kenosha Community Foundation Board of Directors.
The one-year scholarships were established “for the benefit of students that meet criteria with regard to: need and scholastic or professional promise.”